My friend Phyllis retired from my workplace earlier this year. At her retirement party she talked about how she makes her own liqueur at Christmas. I asked her to give me a call because this would be a first for me. She makes her version of Bailey’s Irish Cream and Limoncello. This will be a post in two parts. We will focus on the Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur first.
Phyllis handed me the recipe from an old newspaper clipping. I also found a similar version at The Cupcake Project.
Homemade Eggless Irish Cream Liqueur
1 1/4 to 1 3/4 Cups of Irish whiskey, brandy, rum, bourbon, scotch or rye whiskey
1- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 Cups whipping cream or half and half
2 TBSP chocolate syrup
2 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
Place the ingredients in the blender and whirr away. Serve in a lovely liqueur glass.
1.Phyllis likes using rum for her recipe. She says it has a smoother taste.
2.Phyllis’s late husband preferred half and half instead of cream. He thought is was way too thick with the cream.
3. The more chocolate syrup the better. When I held the measuring spoon over the blender the chocolate syrup just kept oozing out of the bottle, overflowing the spoon. Phyllis likes her chocolate. Again, all about your taste preference.
4. Makes a great gift for friends and family. Get yourself some beautiful bottles, labels and ribbon and you have an easy and thoughtful gift.
Doesn’t that beautiful bottle of Irish Cream Liqueur look inviting by the fireplace? Makes me want to go grab a blanket and cuddle up with some holiday cheer!
Next post will be on Limoncello…stay tuned.
- Tullamore Dew named ‘Best Irish whiskey of the Year’ in New York competition (irishcentral.com)
- Perfect Holiday Hostess Gift (desmitten.wordpress.com)
- Thanksgiving Baileys Irish Cream pumpkin pie recipe (irishcentral.com)